MOVE. VOICE. OPEN. BLOG.



Thursday, May 21, 2009

Know the 10 Signs

#5 Trouble with Visual or Spatial Relationships

"I felt my wife was nagging me about my driving; in my view, there was nothing wrong with it. I agreed to a meeting with my doctor to discuss her complaints. He agreed with her; he told me not to drive.

To foil their view and show them how wrong they were, I took a simulated driving test at Sister Kenny Institute in Minneapolis. I failed it miserably.

After a Neuropsychometric test, I was diagnosed as having Alzheimer’s disease.

The test told them I had substantial visual peripheral perception deficiency. This meant that I would see things but they had no meaning. This explained why I was screwing up driving, why I was falling after tripping over things in plain sight. It explained why I bumped into closed windows and was clumsy as could be.

My tripping and falling shattered a 12- year-old hip replacement that required surgery that had me on my back homebound, unable to walk, for 2 months. The recovery was rough. That was price enough! I am now on my feet ready to live again.

Knowing about the source of my clumsiness has helped me and my family create a safer environment. It has also given me the opportunity to pursue creative, social and fun activities as much as I want, which is very important to me. I just let my wife drive!"

-Mike Donohue

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 1, 2009 at 7:58 AM , Blogger L S Fisher said...

Mike, I remember the day my husband could not renew his license. He couldn't say the names of the letters on the eye exam. I promised him I would drive him wherever he wanted to go. My occupation in the area directory is still listed as "Driver". I have a pretty good idea where that came from! It's amazing how many truck driving jobs I've been offered.

 
At June 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM , Anonymous Kristin said...

Mike,
With my mother is was sequences. She had difficulty putting together phone numbers (writing them down) and directions.


tinkn.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


BBB Accredited Charity